While this is probably the most common question we get, it is also the most difficult to answer. The value of your claim depends on a lot of factors, including whether the other driver was entirely to blame, how much liability insurance he has, and the extent of your injuries. However, regardless of the amount, there are certain damages you are entitled to when you are the victim of another driver’s negligence and the Bianca Law Firm will fight to make sure you get them.
Personal Injury Damages Awarded in Louisiana
In most car accident cases, the value of the claim is limited to the amount of liability insurance carried by the negligent driver. For example, if a driver is only carrying the minimum bodily injury liability coverage required by Louisiana law, you will only be able to get $15,000 for injury expenses from him. Even if your medical expenses exceed that, you won’t be able to get any more from his insurance company. Also, if you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you. Keeping these facts in mind, as the victim of a negligent driver, you are entitled to the following damages:
- Medical expenses. All medical costs related to the accident should be paid, or reimbursed if they were incurred before the settlement is final.
- Lost wages. If you are unable to work because of the injuries you sustained in the crash, you can be awarded lost earnings. If you must find a lower-paying job because of your injuries, this can also cover the reduction in wages.
- Pain and suffering. These non-economic damages are designed to compensate you for the discomfort of having gone through the accident.
- Emotional distress and mental anguish. If the accident is traumatic and you have suffered emotional distress as a result, you can be awarded damages to compensate you.
- Punitive damages. In cases of extreme negligence on the part of the at-fault driver, such as in a drunk driving case, a judge may award punitive damages. This money is meant to punish the liable driver and to set an example for others.
Maximize Your Damage Award With Our Representation
While it’s hard to know what your car accident case is worth, it is a fact that it will be worth more when you hire a car accident attorney to represent you. Insurance companies sit up and take notice when an attorney contacts them. Maximize the value of your case by hiring Baton Rouge attorney Rusty Bianca to represent you.